Monday, October 09, 2006

Fall is fall so you fall


Well, I suppose I should write something since I have this blog now and I am on a month of research. That means that I get much more time to be at home than normal, which is good because I wasn't expecting to have a month like this until I retired or got fired or something. I am actually working on some research, so it is all legit. Just that if there is a nice day and I have gotten to a place in my work where I can put it up, I am not encouraged to stay, so today I packed it up around 1 or so and we went hiking and played outside and went to a pumpkin patch so the kids could get frustrated in the hay maze and cry about not wanting to go through the tunnels in the hay fort. The weather couldn't be any more lovely here today, and I was debating with my research "supervisor" at about 12:50pm today if I could in good conscience take the rest of the day off and then she said there was talk of the "S" word coming to town on Thursday night or Friday morning. The next thing she heard was the door to office closing behind me.
This past few weeks have been pretty busy. We took the kids to the Columbus Zoo on Saturday, which was incredibly fun and action packed. They have a very nice zoo there, only thing is it's 2 hours away, and we have to pay half price, which is not all that much, but when you are used to going to the Zoo for "free" it is hard to swallow. Not that hard, I suppose. I am now becoming a great fan of the Gibbon species, they are gobs of fun and really entertaining. Nothing like having kids, for sure.
We have been learning lots about leaves here as well. I went out last night and "mulched" the leaves and then mowed them up so they all fit in only one trash bag.... only to get home today and see more leaves on the lawn than last night. I suppose it is like taking a bath or something, feel like you should but you will just stink again anyway so feels like a waste.
Also in the past few weeks, I ran in a 5-person marathon relay team with my fellow residents against a team of our attendings. They even brought in some "ringers" from other non-surgery departments to compete with us, but I think they should have saved the expense because we have a heavy-duty team here. We started off with Paul, a second-year guy here who is built like me and plays lots of soccer and lacrosse, then had a body-builder type who is a fellow intern but can run alright, and then Jill, the third intern this year with me who ran track in highschool and ran about 7 min/mile for over 6 miles. I think by the time I got the handoff we were already 20 minutes ahead of them. They treated us and our wives out afterward to a "clam bake." Now I haven't been to many clam bakes, but this was not what I expected. I started to wonder and had even dusted off my hip waders when the chair of surgery announced one morning in resident conference, "Oh, for that clam bake, the country club requires sport coats." I didn't think clams were that up and up, but that is why I am still a resident, I suppose.
We had a great time and Kristi and I were able to sample a whole new world. Was also fun to meet the attendings at a more "informal" setting and also to meet their wives was fun.
The kids are enjoying the last few days of summer here, and enjoy riding their bikes a lot. Alec has been showing his skin to the neighbors because the shirts are just too itchy, dad. Anne has really gotten the hang of the walking thing, and is tromping all over the place. Her rash is still pretty bad and is just sort of kept at a dull roar with the steroid cream and other creams and dietary modifications. She has her moments of being pretty miserable and we all feel pretty bad for the little cutie. Kristi is getting near to the end of things with number 4 and we are happy so much is behind us and are praying the Lord will be with her during the next few months and that her body holds up through this pregnancy and delivery. We are very much looking forward to seeing Heather here for the birth, as well as some family just before and then after the birth as well.
Another week of leaf raking, bike riding, and digging out the snow clothes is in store for the Carne family in Akron, OH. God has been very good to us and we are more grateful than we can explain.
David "Pre" Carne
My running teammates are calling me Pre, after the famous runner from that other school in Oregon. That just shows you how little they know about running. I have been wanting to ask them what is so ferocious about a seed, but maybe I will wait until May or June, when the football season is way past us and maybe they won't get too excited.

No comments: