Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Lessons in Physics

Most of us eventually "discover" the truth that we don't really have the ability to know everything about anything. There are some things we learn through experience. Some things we learn from the experiences of others. Then there is everything else that we really don't know the first thing about, and try to just make it through life without having our ignorance come up and bite us, or at least not while others are watching.
Although experience is a pretty good teacher, it's utility is not only in making one less ignorant. Confidence is what experience is really good at. Now, this is good and bad in that a little bit of knowledge is good in helping you mentally get going and helps you try new things and learn more because you think you know how to cover yourself if you get into trouble. Experience and the confidence it brings also can get you into trouble by allowing you to think you can do things or go places you really can't and shouldn't and just got away with it one or two times before is the only reason you think you can safely do it again.
This is all in reference to life, of course. Specifically, I am thinking of my lovely children, the lovely weather, and my current occupation. Just because I dug through the garbage once and nothing came of it doesn't mean I won't get it if I venture in there again. Just because it is October doesn't mean it won't snow and be nasty outside. Just because I know how to start an IV doesn't mean I can get away with starting a central line or just because I can put a scalpel on a handle doesn't mean I know the difference between nerve and tendon.
That being said, this past few weeks have been pretty good... I guess. The weather predictably unpredictable, the children have been growing up and learning new things with us, and we are getting closer to our first spring in Ohio. For the past 10 days I have been on call nearly every other or every third day, which makes for little time for much else. I am finally done and now I get to join a team at the hospital that is short a person, so I get to keep on rounding every morning, which is good for me I am sure.
Apple season is here, and Kristi took the kids to Amish country with Mrs. Sobie, a former ATI mom who is very knowledgeable about these things. So, we have lots of apples. We are still raking leaves, and watching some snow fall once and a while. Anne is getting a little bit better with her eczema, and that makes us pretty happy (now we have all 4 eye teeth coming in) for the most part. We had a wonderful time on Saturday at the mansion of the guy who was co-founder of Goodyear Tire. The children are learning more and more about animals and letters and numbers and phonics. Anne is walking like a champ, and that has helped her frustration level, which in turn helps ours. Jan and Alec now have I John 1 memorized and enjoy reciting it for those members of the treats for verses club.
We are still working on social graces, keeping our voices down in public, second and other ballet positions, recognizing the warning signs of a BM when Anne is in the tub with us, keeping the doors closed and only necessary lights on in the house, gravity, inertia, and responding to authority.
I have been able to get to know some of the other residents a bit better after being on call with some who I have not really worked with that much, which has been good. I was on call Sunday and over a patient with appendicitis that I was lining up to go to the OR one of the Emergency Residents says, "Hey, you sure missed a good sermon at church today." I, with experience, have learned a few social graces so I by-passed the "who in the heck are you" and replied, "Yeah, my wife emailed me and said Steve did a very good job explaining the Word and the place it should have in our lives."
Feel a bit more ingrained here since I have started running into nurses and residents and just this morning I chatted with a family doc at the hospital who goes to the Church we have been attending. Sure are nice people, and what impresses me is they seem genuinely interested in growing spiritually and being challenged and knowing what God says and how it should change the way they live. The kids are very much learning and growing, and talk about the Bible stories they learn each week. That is good too.
Well, that will do it. I have some "research" to attend to and must get back at it. Also, I need to get some exercise. This week we have Andy Smith coming by on his way back to Bible College from DC, we are having dinner with the Pastor's family, and multiple other appointments and engagements.
Feel free to drop us a line any time. Next month I think I have Neurosurgery, but I may be bumped back to Cardiovascular/Thoracic service as there is a shortage of intern over there.

David

1 comment:

Karen Brock said...

David, Kristi, and Kids --

I love reading your posts and also enjoy viewing your latest photos. Your family is beautiful, and especially beautiful in the autumn family picture that I saw last night on Yahoo. You all are in our thoughts, and it seems we talk about one or all of you all the time. You know, what a good aim Alec is with a ball, and we'd love to see Jan's ballet moves again, and I can't believe that Anne is walking already...

Kristi -- glad you finally received that particular package from Scappoose, and David, so happy you and Kristi make the time to pen your thoughts now and then.

Well, we love and miss you. We pray for you, too. Happy Autumn and Early Snow!

Love, Karen B.