Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A Carne by any other name....

This week and next week have their share of 30 hour shifts for David. While he is gone and kids are in bed I am spending time sifting through piles of names. (This pregnancy has required time spent with my feet above my heart and there honestly are not alot of productive things that can be done with your feet piled on pillows or propped against the back of the couch. Looking for names is something that works here.) This used to be something that my friends and I did for fun - as 13 and 14 years olds we all had lists of names that we absolutely, positively loved. I guess that I lost my list.
Seriously...David and I have a hard time picking out names for the new people in our family. Not exactly sure of why, but something to do with how important it is, how frequently it will be used, how it will have much to do with the impressions others have of him/her when they first meet, etc.
So many names that I just "like" don't go with Carne. Some of them just don't go with the names of the siblings. Some of the names I like were David's neighbors while he was growing up and he hated them. Some of them I just like on paper, I don't like the actual sound of them.

Alec thinks that we should name whatever it is "Spanky Alfalfa". We aren't asking him anymore.
Jan is agreeable to most any name that I suggest, but would really like to name it (whatever it is) "Sasha". Don't ask me why. Why can't I be as opinionated as that?

I am wishing that I would have told that ultrasound tech that I would like to know if the baby is a boy or a girl, just so it would be narrowed down a bit. If anyone was wondering there are about 3x as many girls names as there are boys names. Well - we have two months plus to figure it out so it isn't panic time yet.

One of my favorite verses is in Isaiah - asking Israel if a mother can forget her nursing child - and then says that even she may forget but He will not forget them. He has their name written on the palm of His hand. I like to think of my name being written on God's hand. I like to think that whatever my next child's name is, God has it written on His hand.

I learned something new about Ohio this week. They celebrate a holiday called Sweetest Day. October 21. It is like Valentine's Day for the second time around or something like that. Advertisements everywhere - even a Sweetest Day section for cards at Target. This may be a day that has a honored and illustrious history but I can't help wondering if it is just a ploy to get people in Ohio to spend more on cards, chocolate and flowers at a time of year when Hallmark type stores just don't get alot of business. I probably shouldn't be so cynical - maybe by the time we leave here I will celebrate it as though it is a real holiday...but I doubt it.

Looking forward to tomorrow - Starting tomorrow David gets to come home in the evenings for three days straight. Tomorrow will be my Sweetest Day.

3 comments:

Nate and Robyn Copper said...

YEAH, three days in a row is awesome.
The sweet holiday sounds like fun even though I don't think I could get used to another holiday very easily too.

Names are so important. I think it's great you take so much time and thought into something that will be with your child at least until they can change it:).

Anonymous said...

I found the email that had your blog address on it.. it's so good to 'catch up' with the Carne gang... we miss you guys!! Have fun on the couch... it will come to and end eventually and it will be back to business as usual!!
Praying for all!
Jacki H and the Herd!!

thedeiters said...

They had Sweetest Day in Chicago, too, when I lived there. Of course, at IBLP, we girls only got roses from other girls. :-) We also thought it was a Hallmark invention to sell more cards. But, your blog causes me to realize that it is still not celebrated on the West Coast, which may mean it's a regional holiday, not a Corporate Holiday (so *that's* what Corporate Holiday means...).
Sure it was sweet! ~Bronwyn