Saturday, August 19, 2006

The Table

Waking up this morning, my first thought was "Man, I am sure glad I don't have to go in to work today." Then, my second thought was, "what in the world is she doing up?" My social four and a half year old daughter was either trying to stay under authority, or else feeling the need for adult agreement that she should probably use the restroom since nature was calling. Just wish nature would call later than 3:45am.

The second time I woke up this morning, my first thought was "Man, I am sure glad I don't have to go in to work today." Then, my second thought was, "why in the world should I get up?" Being able to contemplate getting up leaves one for time to reflect, and this is what I did.
Lying there in bed I thought I was most likely the most lucky guy ever. Commonly, I am suprised by this fact. I guess I never grew up having my goal be to say every week or so that I am most likely the luckiest/blessed guy ever. This is truly what I routinely believe, however. At the top of my list is the fact that I know the God of the universe in a personal way, and although unapproachable, He has desired to call me His son. Even thought that is enough for me, I am then blown away by the fact that He has chosen to bless me with the most wonderful friend and companion in my wife Kristi. I honestly don't know what married life is supposed to be like, but if my overhearing of conversation from most everyone I am surrounded by is any indication, there should be major disagreements, issues, frustrations, and heartache. I guess I am not married then, because what I have is better every day and I am only more and more content and grateful for her the more I get to know her. Then, when I do decide to get up out of bed, I am surrounded by three lovely children who call me "daddy," and ask me to help button their pants, feed them food, wipe their bottom, and look at their craft or recent garage sale or library finds.

Speaking of garage sale finds, I am stunned repeatedly when I walk through this amazing place God has given us to live in, the cars he lets us drive, the couches he lets us sit in, and the table he lets us eat at. Kristi and I have remarked several times at how blessed we are, and how hardly anything we have is something we have acquired on our own. Nearly everything we have has been given to us by friends and family. This brought me back to my amazement that I could possibly have anything to complain about. Matter of fact, I don't. Just that I have been and am currently in surroundings with co-workers and colleagues who are experiencing the exact same circumstances as myself, but nearly all they can talk about is how it is rotten, stinks, is horrible, etc..... For example, I have an attending physician I work with who is somewhat abrasive in nature and delivery, sometimes is downright in your face and accusing/challenging. What gets me is that if you sit there and take what he says and say, "okay, I will work on that" he is disarmed and after a few of these meetings realizes that you really want to learn and do your best. From then on he is much more open to teaching and instructing vs. accusing and demanding.
Is there a reason that someone who has been given everything thinks that others owe him something? I can't think of one, except that pride seems to get in the way of personal enrichment. I have found that in my training, most every "mean" attending physician is truly interested in my education. They just want to know if I am before they invest in me.


The funny thing about pride, in my experience, is that it is the enemy of personal growth. I have seen so many golden opportunities lost because the response was "how can I come out of this looking good?" instead of "what can I learn from this?"

Okay, I don't know what a blog is supposed to be for, but since I have been sick and lazed around the house all day, admiring my wife's most recent amazing garage sale deals, I decided that I would just stay home today and do nothing. Lucky you.

2 comments:

coderunners said...

How can no one comment on that blog entry!? Great insights Dave. Really glad to see your blog space out there to keep others informed.

Anonymous said...

From Kristi's cousin Jessie

Grandma Taylor gave me your address for your blog and I just happened to pop on to read it today and found David's thoughts about his Mom's passing very close to my heart. It is amazing to hear thoughts come from someone else that seem so close to what I am going through. David seems to be obviously further that I am but I guess it gives me a glimpse about 3 years in the future. I don't believe I have passed the anger stage yet and I still daily wonder how to get through without her but I know there is hope with time. At the same time it seems amazing and unrealistic that we get to the point where our loved ones are distant but I know that is what happens with time. Anyway sorry to ramble on but it was just so interesting to me to read something that seems so familiar to my thoughts. I am so glad that you all sound as if you are doing well. You will be in our prayers. God Bless, Jessie