Saturday, August 19, 2006

The Bargain Finder

While I am fooling around with sick people all day, Kristi has been usefully employed (along with her three able apprentices) as the decorator of our new place here in Ohio. It seems there is much more to the art of garage-saleing than I had appreciated. Here in the great Midwest, they have these new rules and procedures. An estate sale is referred to as a "tag" sale. I think the kids were most likely unfairly disciplined the first time they went and were told not to run around touching things and people and then fleeing with the farewell "You're it." Very misleading.
Also, for all of you ignorant northwestern natives, Thursday is the big day for a sale here. I was hoping I could bring this up with the residency program director here at the hospital and see if I couldn't have Thursday off from now on to go "tagging it" ( I guess you don't use that term unless you want funny looks) but from the empty eyes and raised left eyebrow I took it that I still have to show up on Thursday, tag or no tag.

Anyway, the point of all of this is to tell you that an experienced saler like Kristi is able to find all sorts of bargains. Matter of fact, we have now in our possession a fairly new three piece couch set (all matching), and just this past evening we again tested the capacity of our vehicle with a fairly new Pottery Barn dining room table and chairs. Actually, it is pretty exciting and I promptly got online from the new kitchen table to find out how much we saved off of the current price for this find. Seems like we got if for 94.6% off! Pretty good sale I must admit, and I bow to here skill and ability as well as keeping me in physical shape. Pretty clever woman.

Oh, if you can believe it, there yet a more impressive phenomena here that we didn't have in the northwest. No, not sunshine or humidity or buckeyes or Goodyear blimps.
Garbage Day!
That's right all of you bargain hunters, there is no better deal around here to be had than other people's trash: some of which has become our treasure. It wasn't too long after we arrived here that our neighbors informed us that on trash day people just plop down their unwanted items alongside their trash at the curb. Any one (and many) may cruise around on trash night looking for free stuff. So far, Alec has been the recipient of a new basketball hoop, complete with most of the original hoop.

Well, on that note I will close this flow and get back to seeing how I can cause trouble by getting the kids routy here on a rainy Saturday morning. Oh, I am sure you all know this, but you don't have to sneak around picking through people's trash if you come out here, everyone does it right out in the open. Sometimes it can get pretty rough, so bring some padding and a big stick.

David

No comments: