Monday, November 01, 2010

Weakness

"...And in the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for us according to the will of God." Romans 8:26-27

It really is good news. These verses are ministering to me this fall. I am so different from what I should be, so far from what I ought to be. Each new responsibility reveals a new area of sin in my life. I am so much worse than I thought. It is embarrassing to admit that I knew I was a sinner. I just didn't really understand that I was totally depraved.
Nothing like having children to reveal your own selfishness and utter inability to handle anything like a Christian.
It is late at night and for some reason I am especially prone to despair over my shortcomings and failures at this hour. Probably because it is the first time all day that I have had to think of anything beyond just surviving and trying to get even half of the things done that need doing....let alone doing them NICELY!

I remember how impacted I was the first time I read the book "If" by Amy Carmichael.
One section in particular:

"If a sudden jar can cause me to speak an impatient, unloving word, then I know nothing of Calvary love. For a cup brimful of sweet water cannot spill even one drop of bitter water however suddenly jolted."

There have been alot of jolts in the past several years (days) and I often spill bitter water. I wish that I didn't.

I am grateful for a God who helps me in my weakness. I am grateful that His Spirit intercedes for me according to the will of God. That even though I don't know what to say or what to ask for He talks to God for me and says "This is what Kristi is trying to say, this is what she means." I am grateful that I can cry out to God and that He intercedes coherently for me.






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kristi, Thanks so much for posting this. The sermon last Sunday was on this exact topic. I too am grateful that the Holy Spirit is there to intercede for me.

the Routsons said...

Kristi,
Your trasparency is such fresh air. So many days I cry to sing Amazing grace...to save a wretch like me! Us moms see ourselves at our worst. God compares us to no one. He is not suprised. Praying for grace for your heart and Gods perspective to be a light after the storm.